Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Why I Am Not a Vegetarian


I was a vegetarian for more than twelve years. I ate dairy and egg products but avoided even the hint of meat.  My early studies of Buddhism led me to reflect on this practice, and I realized that my motivations were not well-founded.  I was not a vegetarian because I was opposed to harming animals.  I was not a vegetarian because I thought the vegetarian diet was healthy.  I was a vegetarian simply because I wanted to be a vegetarian.  It provided part of my identity.  It was something I could be -- and without too much effort.

There is nothing wrong with being a vegetarian. However, it did not seem to me that the privilege of simply calling myself a vegetarian was sufficient reason not to eat meat. So I had grilled salmon for dinner – and a burger shortly thereafter. Now I enjoy telling people that my encounter with Buddhism caused me to give up my vegetarianism.

A Meal of Fresh Octopus

Lots of arms, just like Kannon the Goddess;
Sacrificed for me, garnished with citron, I revere it so!
The taste of the sea, just divine!
Sorry, Buddha, this is another precept I just cannot keep.

--Ikkyu


Related:
Ikkyu: A single night of love ...
The Buddha: Do not believe ...
Chuang-tzu: The Master soars past sun and moon ...
The Mind's Worst Disease
Laugh at the Sky
Jane Hirschfield: The Adamantine Perfection of Desire

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an utterly odd and superficial conclusion, esp given that one of the foundational precepts of Buddhism is to abstain from causing harm and killing living things!

Michael Perkins said...

Maybe odd, but not superficial. We disagree about what is foundational to Buddhism. However, I respect your desire not to harm living things.

18 yr old said...

The middle path is the way to go! :)

A string too tight would just break. And a string too loose would not make any music.
Only the middle string which is neither too tight nor too loose would produce a beautiful and harmonious sound when struck!

I was a vegetarian for a week lol but I couldn't go on without meat so I decided to have the best of both worlds: a little bit of meat and a little bit of the vegetarian diet aka the middle path. :)

Dean Booth said...

I am a good person simply because I want to be a good person. The foundation for my being a good person is as tenuous as your being a vegetarian, I guess.

Post a Comment

Michael Perkins

Michael Perkins

Help Me Find New Readers

Search This Blog